Creamy White Chicken Chili
This soup is delicious and savory with just a hint of spice, making it perfect for a winter weeknight! A crockpot is a great tool for busy weeknights, allowing for one-step, “dump-and-go” type meals. This recipe is packed with healthy fiber from the beans and lean protein from the chicken breast. The light cream cheese helps to reduce the fat content, while still making a creamy soup!
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high
Makes: 6 servings
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
24 ounces low sodium chicken broth
Two 15-ounce cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
Two 4-ounce cans diced green chilies
One 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
¾ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Small handful fresh cilantro, chopped
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
¼ cup half and half
Optional Toppings: sliced jalapenos, sliced avocado, dollop of light sour cream, minced fresh cilantro, tortilla strips, reduced fat shredded cheese
1. Add chicken breasts to bottom of the slow cooker, top with pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
2. Top with diced onion, minced garlic, great Northern beans, green chilies, corn, chicken broth and cilantro. Stir.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
4. Remove chicken from cooker and place into a large mixing bowl, shred, then return to slow cooker.
6. Stir well and serve with desired toppings.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories: 350cal, Fat: 9g, Carbohydrates: 38g, Fiber: 10g, Protein: 31g, Sodium: 409mg
Adapted from: http://www.thechunkychef.com/slow-cooker-creamy-white-chicken-chili/