Hearty Kale and Beet Salad
Written By: Shannon Corlett, MS, RDN, LDN
This colorful salad allows your family to experience beets in an inviting way. Paired with crunchy almonds, high anti-oxidant oranges and carrots, and a touch of goat cheese, the whole salad is supported by a hearty base of kale. Poppy seed dressing adds a touch of sweetness that highlights the natural flavor of the beets. With 9 grams of fiber and a moderate amount of carbohydrates, this is the perfect dinner salad to share with family and friends.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes**
Total Time: 65 minutes**
**Cook time includes roasting the beets. Total time can be reduced by purchasing pre-cooked beets such as
8 Cups Baby Kale
4 Medium Beets
1 Cup Shredded Carrots
4 Tablespoons Almonds
8 Tablespoons Goat Cheese
4 Tablespoons Poppy Seed Dressing
- To Roast Beets: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop beet greens 4″ above the root, leaving a handle. Peel the beets, removing only the outermost layer of skin. Use tinfoil to wrap the beets in pairs. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Once beets have roasted and cooled, or if you purchased pre-prepared beets, cut them into quarters.
- Peel the orange and cut sections in half creating bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine baby kale, beets, orange sections, carrots, almonds, goat cheese, and dressing. Toss to combine.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information per serving:
Calories: 314 cal, Fat: 18g, Carbohydrates: 32g, Fiber: 9g, Protein: 14g, Sodium: 395mg