Healthy Huevos Rancheros
Choosing whole, nutritious food does not have to mean skipping brunch. This version of huevos rancheros, a traditional Latin American dish, provides a high fiber option to keep you full for hours. If you prefer spicy food, considering added cayenne or hot paprika to your onion, tomato, and bean mixture. This recipe can be served with or without the tortilla, depending on your personal carbohydrate and calorie goals, and is easily doubled for two or more portions.
Serves: 1 serving
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 7” whole grain, low carb tortilla (optional)
¼ onion, chopped
1 tomato, diced
¼ cup pinto beans, drained and rinsed
¼ avocado, sliced
1 lime, Squeezed
Handful cilantro, to garnish
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Slice ¼ avocado and set aside.
2. If using a tortilla, coat a pan with olive oil cooking spray and heat both sides of the tortilla. Place it in your desired serving skillet or in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a pan, heat olive oil over medium¬ high heat. Once hot, add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and beans and simmer on medium ¬low for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper, and spice as desired.
3. Transfer the mixture to the tortilla skillet or bowl and then use the pan to fry an egg. Over medium high heat, crack the egg open and cover the pan. Allow it to sit until the whites have set, but the yolk is still runny. Slide it over the tortilla and beans.
4. Serve with sliced avocado and lime, garnish with cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information per Serving (with tortilla):
Calories: 342 cal, Fat: 19 g, Carbohydrates: 36 g, Fiber: 17 g, Protein: 17 g, Sodium: 293 mg
Adapted from: http://thewholetara.com/healthy-huevos-rancheros/