Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Enjoy this traditional South American sauce, popular in countries like Argentina and Brazil, on top of flank steak, which is a great lean beef option for grilling! You can also enjoy this flavorful sauce on chicken and fish, brushed onto corn on the cob, or on top of a salad!
Serving Size: 3 ounce steak (cooked) + 4 teaspoons sauce
1.5 pounds flank steak
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 packed tablespoons parsley, finely chopped (stems removed)
2 packed tablespoons cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon water
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
1. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the steak on both sides in a crisscross pattern, at ½ inch intervals.
2. In a small bowl combine the cumin, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper and kosher salt. Season both sides of the steak with the spice rub.
3. Start the chimichurri by combining the red onion, apple cider vinegar, salt and olive oil. Let this sit for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to complete the chimichurri sauce.
5. Preheat your grill on high heat. Grill the flank steaks to desired doneness (about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare).
6. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice steaks across the grain.
7. Transfer to a platter and top with chimichurri sauce.
8. Enjoy with your meal!
Nutritional Information: Calories: 232 kcal, Fat: 14g, Carbohydrates: 1g, Fiber: 0g, Protein: 24g, Sodium: 343 mg
Adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-flank-steak-with-chimichurri/