BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bake
Written by: Christina Dauer, MPH, RD, LD/N, CDE
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
1 cup uncooked quinoa (any color)
1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
¾ cup sweet corn kernels (from 1 ear of corn, use a fresh corn cob if possible, you won’t regret it)
½ medium red onion, finely chopped
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 heaping cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken breast (for quick prep, use chopped rotisserie chicken)
½ cup barbecue sauce
1½ cup grated 2% Monterey Jack, divided
3 tablespoon whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Place the quinoa and chicken broth in a small saucepan. (If your quinoa is not pre-washed, make sure to rinse and drain it first.) Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover and cook for 14 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Let rest for 5 minutes, covered, then fluff with a fork (while the quinoa is cooking is a great time to chop up chicken breast or tenders into small pieces and sauté for the casserole, if needed, using up to 1 tablespoon of oil to sauté).
- While quinoa is cooking, heat the olive oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet. (If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, don’t panic. You can transfer your quinoa mixture to a 9X13 baking dish before putting it in the oven.) When hot, add the corn and red onion. Season with salt and plenty of fresh ground pepper. Cook for about minutes until the corn is tender and the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until the tomatoes are just softened and the garlic is fragrant.
- Turn off the heat and add the cooked quinoa, chicken, barbecue sauce, and ¾ cup of cheese to the skillet. Stir until everything is well combined. (If your skillet isn’t ovenproof, now is the time to transfer the mixture to a baking dish.) Top with the remaining cheese in an even layer and sprinkle with Panko.
- Transfer the skillet or dish to the oven and bake for 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling and top is lightly browned.
- Garnish with toppings of your choice and serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Calories: 345, Fat: 12g, Protein: 25g, Carbohydrates: 35g, Fiber: 3g, Sodium: 572mg
Nutrition Tip: Looking for a quick and delicious dinner the whole family will love? Look no further! This recipe has lean protein from the chicken breast and quinoa, with a little sweetness from the fresh corn and barbeque sauce. Top with avocado, scallions and/or cilantro and pair with a green salad. This recipe works well for leftovers for lunch the next day.